Vehicle owners are already overloaded with several car-related expenses such as maintenance, repairs, accessories, and more. You might not want to spend any more money on other vehicle expenses like car insurance. Insurance costs vary due to a wide variety of reasons. This guide will offer a review of the least expensive cars to insure, including what determines the cost of car insurance, how to lower car insurance, vehicle features to avoid, the least expensive color of car to insure, and more.
What Are the Least Expensive Cars To Insure?
The makes and models of the vehicles below are the least expensive cars to insure for the year 2020. Average costs are reported as annual premiums.
1. Subaru Outback: $1,288
2. Honda Odyssey LX: $1,298
3. GMC Canyon: $1,302
4. Mazda CX-3 Sport: $1,307
5. Honda CR-V LX: $1,333
6. Ford Escape: $1,344
7. Nissan Frontier: $1,388
8. Fiat 500X: $1,438
9. Jeep Compass: $1,458
10. GMC Sierra: $1,464
What Determines the Cost of Car Insurance?
The cost of car insurance is determined by many factors, such as:
- Personal information of the driver.
- State of residence.
- Average cost of repairs or replacement cost of the vehicle in the event of an accident.
- How often the car model in question has been in accident-related events.
- Average distance the driver travels per year.
- Driving experience related to years of driving and number of driving incidents reported.
How Does Personal Information Affect Car Insurance Rates?
Personal information influences vehicle insurance premiums. Factors such as gender, age, marital status, and residential location all affect whether or not a person’s car insurance will decrease or increase. For example, it typically costs more to insure a male teenager over a female teenager, as statistics show that male teenagers have more accidents. On the other hand, older men usually pay less for car insurance than older women. Being married can also reduce a person’s insurance premiums while living in a densely populated area will most likely increase those same premiums.
How Can I Lower My Car Insurance?
Car insurance premiums are not set in stone. There are ways to lower those expensive annual premiums. Higher credit scores can improve your chances of receiving a low car insurance quote. Many car insurance companies offer discounts when auto owners bundle services such as home, auto, and life insurance together. The best way to lower your car insurance costs is to speak directly with a car insurance agent. Since car insurance companies base quotes on a driver’s personal information, negotiating directly with the insurance agency can increase your chances of receiving a lower car insurance rate.
What Vehicles Are More Expensive To Insure?
While there is a list of least expensive cars to insure, there is also a category of cars that can be more expensive to insure. For those who wish to avoid expensive insurance premiums, it’s best to steer clear of the following vehicles:
- Sports cars tend to have higher insurance rates, as their drivers are often young and inexperienced and tend to be more accident-prone.
- Electric vehicles cost more to insure as they are more expensive to purchase and usually have higher repair costs.
- Luxury cars are more expensive to insure due to their high-priced repairs and the enormous cost to the insurance company if they need replacing.
Which Features Should I Avoid To Keep Insurance Premiums Low?
Features beyond the basic necessities can increase a vehicle’s insurance premium. This includes such items as high-tech safety equipment or a more powerful engine. Other factors that can boost insurance rates are GPS systems, premium audio systems, and power sunroofs. Vehicles with bundled upgrades are more expensive to insure, as well. To avoid higher premiums, choose a vehicle with a base trim level.
Are There Safety Features That Can Lower the Cost of Car Insurance?
A vehicle with a high safety rating can improve a driver’s chances of paying lower car insurance premiums. How do these safety features lower car insurance? A higher safety rating means there is a reduced chance of an insurance company having to pay for medical bills for anyone involved in a car accident. Vehicles with higher safety ratings also include several safety features such as airbags, automatic seat belts, and traction control.
Are Cars of a Specific Color Cheaper To Insure?
Many people believe that the color of their vehicle is a determining factor in the cost of their car insurance. Bright colors that stand out, like red or yellow, are presumed to be higher to insure. Some also believe the same thing when it comes to receiving driving violations. While some believe there is a least expensive color of car to insure, this is simply not true. The risk factor of a particular make and model vehicle does not include its color.
What Kind of Questions Should I Ask When Looking for Cheap Car Insurance?
There are so many questions surrounding car insurance rates that the process can seem very intimidating. Asking the following questions can determine how cheap or how expensive your car insurance premiums can be.
- Find out what kind of insurance is required by the state of residence. Many states require liability insurance but do not require collision insurance. This can make insurance premiums more affordable.
- Ask about discounts or savings the specific insurance company provides. Unless you specifically ask, you might miss some discounts that are not readily known about.
- Request a detailed list of what is and is not covered in the event of accidental damage or a collision. Reviewing benefits one at a time may lead to deleting options that can save money.
Car Insurance Can Be Affordable
Purchasing affordable car insurance is possible. Although it may seem like car insurance is expensive and overpriced, there are many budget-friendly options available. This guide informs and educates drivers on the least expensive cars to insure. It also offers information that will help when searching for cheap car insurance for specific types of vehicles. If you’re currently looking for affordable car insurance premiums, contact American Auto Insurance today for a free quote. We are more than happy to help you find the best yet least expensive car insurance for your specific needs.